Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get my brother to try ruby.  Currently he's using Windows
> 2000 (he's a Linux user, but he's stuck witnh Windows for now).  After
> ruby is installed and you've written a program, how do you run it?
>
> When I was there I tried clicking on the program.  That caused a terminal
> to come up and show the output.  But the terminal quit right away.
>
> I tried:
>
> prompt> ruby prog.rb
>
> But Windows didn't recognize ruby as a program.

What was the error message?
Is the ruby/bin directory in you PATH variable?
It should be, if you are using the Pragmatic Programmers Ruby installation.

> Also, is there a Windows equivalent of the '#!' line?

There's no such thing - as far as I know.
But: You can associate files with the .rb suffix to the ruby
interpreter. If you do this you can omit the 'ruby' part in the command
line and run a program like this:

prompt> prog.rb

HTH

Stephan