On Friday 17 January 2003 04:19 am, Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng wrote:
> OK, what about this suggestion in the OO spirit of Ruby?
>
>      puts <<("interpolate", "indent", "indent terminator")|EOS
>             |   string
>             EOS
>
> where the args can be strings or symbols, or possibly an array. I.e.
> treat << as a method call that can take parmeters. If/when we get
> named parameters then "margin" = "|", or that could be done with a
> hash, or some such could be added.

Hugh,

this is an interesting attempt at making here docs OO, yet it dosen't quite
get there. the only thing i can see to do would be to take a block that the
here doc is within. maybe something like this:

      puts <<("interpolate", "indent", "indent terminator", "|") {
	     EOS
             |   string
             EOS
	}

i take it the interoplate is a true/false argument? indent is equiv. to
tabto(n)? and what about the indent terminator, what is that?

but this sort of "long-winds" the whole deal....

no one responded to my suggestion of leaving here docs alnone and instead
adding a variant syntax to the %Q, %q construction. i.e.

%Q-| string

was it really such a bad idea?

--
tom sawyer, aka transami