Appended to this message, you will find my script (currently only partly
done), the last 100 lines of an strace, and the output of a gdb backtrace.

ruby -v outputs:
ruby 1.6.8 (2002-12-24) [i386-linux]

The function of the program is to listen on a network interface
promiscuously and output records of packets which do not
match a set of filters, and to verify that traffic is being observed that
does match each of the filters in the set. The program uses Ruby/PCap. I
am currently using the debian package libpcap-ruby version 1.6-4 The
program runs for about 10 minutes, then segfaults.

Apparently, my news program can't attach files. So, I'll throw these onto
a web site.

Check out http://capsaicin.ca/rubydebug/ :)

Can anyone help me? Is this a nice obvious bug?

Thanks,
Mathew Johnston