sir Nobu [mailto:nobu.nokada / softhome.net] explained:

> >    s1 = <<|EOS
> >           |#{hi}
> >         I do not have the indenter
> >           |  how are you?
> >     me, too.. but ruby takes care of me :-)
> >    EOS
>
> Well, I don't like it very much... it may mislead me sometimes.

You are correct. I chose worst scenario sample. I was thinking that the "|"
character (or whatever we choose) is optional in purpose so that the ff are
possible:

#this is normal
s1 = <<EOS
       #{hi}
       I do not have the indenter
       fine
       me, too.. but ruby takes care of me :-)
	 EOS

#though indenter is specified, it should not err even if not used
s1 = <<|EOS
       #{hi}
       I do not have the indenter
       fine
       me, too.. but ruby takes care of me :-)
	 EOS

#this one used indenter fully
s1 = <<|EOS
       | #{hi}
       | I do have the indenter
       | fine
       | me, too.. and ruby takes care of me :-)
	 EOS

#this one combines use (since you may or may not use indenter)
s1 = <<|EOS
       |================================
       |  #{hi}
       |  I have to indent this line
       |  And also this list line
       |  to make it look good
       |================================
       #{verylongstring} whose length I do not know/care
         Lots of lines
     follow here
    and here.... blahblah blah
     I don't mind.... works all the time