On Friday, January 17, 2003, 1:16:42 AM, Tom wrote:

> On Thursday 16 January 2003 01:08 am, Joel VanderWerf wrote:
>> It is the spaces version, just with a bad name. I use spaces to emulate
>> hard tabs, too.

> great! i love it!

>> http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?StringFormattingFunctions

> i lloked these over. mind if i add them to my general purpose library
> (tomslib/rubylib?)

That's what they're there for!

> i thought a tad on the names to, i think they're mostly fine, but seems to me
> it might be a touch better if they were:

> indent(n)
> indent_to(n)
> indent_all(n)

> and then with aliases of:

> tab(n)
> tab_to(n)
> tab_all(n)

My take on the meanings of these words is this:

indent: add or remove spaces at the beginning of each line *regardless
of how much whitespace is there already*

tab: set an absolute amount of whitespace at the beginning of a line

I was going to let some code do the talking but I'm too p1ssed 8)

Gavin