-----Original Message-----
From:  Dossy
Date:  03.1.15 13.25
To:  ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org (ruby-talk ML)
Subj:  Re: Doc Strings?

On 2003.01.16, Gavin Sinclair <gsinclair / soyabean.com.au> wrote:
> On Thursday, January 16, 2003, 4:54:11 AM, Joey wrote:
>
> > I seem to remember something like this in Ruby, but I can't find it now. In
> > Python there is the concept of a doc string; a String of text just inside a
> > method of class definition. You can get this string at runtime by asking
> > for an attribute called __DOC__. Is there anything equivalent in Ruby?
>
> No.  The closest thing (which isn't even close, because it's not
> runtime-accessible, but at least it's "literate programming") is RDoc,
> with which you can document each method in the source code, and
> extract (painlessly) that documentation into HTML and other targets.

Or, try this:

class Module
  def __doc__(x = nil)
    if not x.nil?
      @@doc = x
    end
    @@doc

class Foo
  __doc__ "some docs for class Foo"

  # rest of Foo stuff here
end

f = Foo.new
f.class.__doc__     # => "some docs for class Foo"

Foo.__doc__         # => "some docs for class Foo"

I think this was posted to the ML a few months ago.

-- Dossy