----- Original Message -----
From: "Yukihiro Matsumoto" <matz / ruby-lang.org>
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 11:39 PM
Subject: Re: ruby-dev summary 19198-19345

> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: ruby-dev summary 19198-19345"
>     on 03/01/15, Gavin Sinclair <gsinclair / soyabean.com.au> writes:
>
> |Why are you not convinced, Matz?  YAGNI?  Or implementation difficulty?
> |I think it's a very good solution to a very real problem.  The problem
> |is only aesthetic, but no less real for that.
>
> Nobu already made a patch to implement it.  I feel like it can make
> programs more cryptic.  "<<-|FOO"??  WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

If you're not used to it, even <<-FOO is cryptic.

Personally, I'd dispense with the hyphen in this
case... only one punctuation mark is needed
in order to remove ambiguity:    <<|FOO

> Other heredoc notations follow shell convention, so that there's
> nothing new in syntax.  One of Ruby's secret is to be slow to merge
> new syntax.

We all trust your judgment, as you have treated us
very well in the past. :) A (mineral) ruby is not
produced quickly, nor is a (software) Ruby.

Hal