On Wednesday, January 15, 2003, 4:39:36 PM, Yukihiro wrote:

> Hi,

> In message "Re: ruby-dev summary 19198-19345"
>     on 03/01/15, Gavin Sinclair <gsinclair / soyabean.com.au> writes:

> |Why are you not convinced, Matz?  YAGNI?  Or implementation difficulty?
> |I think it's a very good solution to a very real problem.  The problem
> |is only aesthetic, but no less real for that.

> Nobu already made a patch to implement it.  I feel like it can make
> programs more cryptic.  "<<-|FOO"??  WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

> Other heredoc notations follow shell convention, so that there's
> nothing new in syntax.  One of Ruby's secret is to be slow to merge
> new syntax.

When I first saw it mentioned in a ruby-dev summary several weeks ago,
I knew instantly what it meant.  You see the | representing a left
margin, and it's obvious.

The secret is already violated with regard to <<-EOF (i.e. allowing an
indented end marker).  Well, I just tried it in bash, and it didn't
allow an indented EOF.  Maybe other sheels do.

Gavin