On Wednesday, January 15, 2003, 3:17:11 PM, Matt wrote:

> matz / ruby-lang.org (Yukihiro Matsumoto) writes:

>> In message "Re: ruby-dev summary 19198-19345"
>>     on 03/01/15, Matt Armstrong <matt / lickey.com> writes:
>>
>> |I do not like this simply because it introduces a problem of tabs -vs-
>> |spaces.
>>
>> I'm not sure Perl5 RFC162 is well though or not.  But Matt's comment
>> is exactly what I thought when I read that.  Nobu's idea is much
>> better, although I'm not convinced yet.

Why are you not convinced, Matz?  YAGNI?  Or implementation difficulty?
I think it's a very good solution to a very real problem.  The problem
is only aesthetic, but no less real for that.

If I were implementing it, I'd limit the "special character" to '|',
unless someone demonstrated a reason why this shouldn't be the case.

> What I do not like about Nobu's idea is that the here document may be
> harder to edit, since every line must have the leading | character.
> The extra editing pain may outweigh any benefit.

Editing this in Vim would be easier than slipping on a banana peel.
Surely this must also be the case with Emacs?

And the worst that can be said about the feature is this: if the
drawback (editing) outweighs the advantage (which is subjective, but
to some people, great), then you don't have to use it.

Gavin