Scripsit ille Phil Tomson <ptkwt / shell1.aracnet.com>:
> I saw this in an early version of the 'Year in scripting languages' that
> was sent out today and it sounds like a very good idea to me, perhaps we
> should try to 'borrow' it:
>
> "The [Tcl]8.4 release includes a number of significant features, including
>
>    * new Virtual File System (VFS) layer that allows (in principle)
>      all desired filesystem activity to be diverted away from the
>      native operating system and to something else; drivers exist for
>      a number of underlying "access methods", including FTP, HTTP,
>      Metakit, WebDAV, etc. "

Doesn't that sound like Perl's TIEHANDLE interface? Ruby shouldn't need
such a hack because its file handles already are objects and methods of
them are called. Maybe it would be good to reimplement the IO objects
(or has that already been done?)  so that any output functions
rely on simple output methods like "output a string" and "output a
character". This way they can be extended without having to do any
formatting.

> Seems like something that wouldn't be too difficult to do with a series of
> modules.

Looks like.

--
Du fingst mit Einem heimlich an,