I think you need to make sure you are using the latest package list from
cvs. Here's what worked for me. (after I removed the fink X11 packages):

fink selfupdate-cvs

[install Apple's X11 stuff]

fink install system-xfree86

You get a nice little message like "Found the Apple X11 dist. Have a
nice day" or something close to that.

Hope that works for you.

- Firoze