> Ruby.year(2002)
>
> A report by the Ruby community
>
> Introduction
[...]

I'm posting this late, and I also didn't see the wiki page because I'm
reading the messages at home, so feel free to disregard this opinion.

I don't think that is what was requested. That article seems like a company
advertising pamphlet to me, and I think the idea was a more informal note
about what happened to the Ruby language and community during the last
year, and not to the Ruby °»product°….

Ok, anyway, here is my contribution of what happened during 2002, that I
remember and consider noteworthy:

- RDoc was introduced and now is the de facto standard documentation system
  (and soon the official one)
- The Ruby Weekly News started (or consolidated, if they started in 2001)
- Ruby lacks class local and block local variables. How to add them to the
  language in a coherent, elegant (?) and non-breaking-old-code way (I
  think this was the main issue of the year)
- Gateway list-newsgroup. Message traffic multiplied. Some other, specific
  lists created
- Various projects to create a repository of ruby packages and automatize
  installation started. rpkg, raa-install, some merge with CPAN. Nothing
  decided yet, but the need remains.
- Some job offerings requesting Ruby programmers appear in newspapers

And some others that I will remember when I send this message :).

In brief, I think 2002 was a pivotal year for Ruby and its community. In
2001 it was still small (or medium). By the end of 2003 it will be big.
Maybe not as big as the Perl or Python ones, but sufficiently big that some
issues should be settled by then. 2002 was the transition year and raised
awareness about that issues (like repositories, installation and language
semantics [I should think of other issues...]).

Hope this helps and sorry for my English.