Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 15:28:15 -0500
To: Yukihiro "Matz" Matsumoto <matz / netlab.jp>
Subject: Drafting a "The Year in Scripting Languages"
From: Mitchell N Charity <mcharity at vendian dot org>

Hello,

We met briefly at LL2...

I am coordinating an email with summaries of what various scripting
language communities are up to.  Lua, Perl, Python, Ruby, TCL.  With
the objective of helping build community and collegiality.  I have
commits for Python, TCL, and expect Perl shortly.

Is writing the Ruby section something you could commit to doing?
Or could you suggest someone else appropriate?

My thanks for your help,
Mitchell Charity

  Ok, the objective is to put together an email, "The year in scripting
  languages (Lua/Perl/Python/Ruby/Tcl)" or some such, with descriptions
  from each community, for cross-posting to the languages' assorted
  mailing lists, and a couple of general places like comp.compilers.

  The motivation is community building.  While each languages' community
  is understandably inwardly focused, I'd like to increase the level of
  cordiality.  Reduce the negative jingoistic edge which seems to often
  flavor discussion.  The communities are addressing similar issues,
  pondering similar design challenges, but are remarkably unaware of each
  other's work.  I'd like to nudge things in a more collegial direction.

  The plan is for each language to write up a short blurb.  Perhaps a
  paragraph each on "summary of what's happened this year", "what is/are
  something(s) _intriguing_ which happened", "what are plans for next
  year".  And one with links to the language homepage, its software
  archive/list, and the web archive of its mailing list(s).

   >Of course, I'd like to hear about concrete milestones -- new features,
   >significant design work, etc.  I'd also be interested in hearing about
   >significant open issues and challenges -- what are the hot topics that
   >have not been resolved.  I'm also interested to hear about how the
   >user community is evoling and what effect that has on requirements.

  The guidelines are that all sections should be interesting and accessible
  to three audiences - the language's own aficionados, people with some
  contact with the language but which haven't been following it, and people
  who have not had any exposure.  And that the tone should be collegial
  rather than competative.

  The target deadline is the 9th (thursday).

  Earlier rough drafts are welcome, to share ideas among the writers,
  and help convergence.

  I'll send out a group email as soon as folks commit.