Andy writes:

#     >Andrew Hunt <Andy / toolshed.com> wrote:
#     >> What do you do if you are running an incompatible version of
#     >> the Cygnus utilities?
#     >
#     >It's my impression that as long as you install the .dll in the same

#     >directory as the executables, that they will be found there before
#     >looking in some more global location.  So I just put the .dll in
#     >the \bin\ directory of Ruby and haven't seen any problems.
#
# Which is, in fact, where I put the dll in the InstallShield version.
# The problem is, I also put that bin directory in the PATH, so the cygnus
# stuff stumbles across it and dies.
#
# Now, at the moment (and contrary to my usual Unix philosophy), I am
# putting Ruby at the head of the PATH.  If I put it at the end, and you
# are right, then Ruby should look for it's dll first next to it's bin,
# and cyguns will find their own dll's as usual before stumbling on to
ours,
# and everybody is happy.

I still had the same problems. It looked like bash was still adding the
path of the Cygnus tools to PATH. (I didn't see anything touching stuff in
.bashrc.) So I reset this (within the bash session), which didn't seem to
help. I'll do some more poking around this weekend when I have some time
to dig around, and also try this on my home machine.

Conrad Schneiker