Gavin Sinclair <gsinclair / soyabean.com.au> wrote in message news:<9095791290.20030102143314 / soyabean.com.au>...
> On Thursday, January 2, 2003, 2:27:10 PM, TOTO wrote:
>
> > In that case, I guess I have to copy the content of ENV to a real Hash. Am I right?
>
> This works (hint: muck around in irb):
>
>   h = {}.update(ENV)
>
> Pretty nice, eh?

Yes. It is.

The update method will return a copy of the new Hash or a copy of the
reference of the new Hash? How did you find out? I couldn't find it in
the Ruby reference.

To be honest, I have a stupid thought originally, before I know I can
use update method. I think I should implement an insert method for
class Hash to do the same thing. And then I find that it might be
impossible to do it with Ruby itself, because the class Hash is
implemented in c.