well i just droped 1000 sql statements on my database via DBI in one fell
swoop. finished in less than a second. think that's good engouh for me :-)

so unless anyone knows for sure that other DBDs/databases won't hack it looks
like the way to go. the only advantage i could see to prepared statements is
that the gsub of the parameters might be faster than building the sql myself.
is DBI c code? guess i can check, thought it was pure ruby myself, in which
case it won't make much difference and i'm probably getting better execution
dropping all the statements at once. perhaps its just postgresql though. you
can use psql cli tool and drop a file of sql statments into it to be
executed. same principle.

-transami