--- Dossy <dossy / panoptic.com> wrote:
> b = 123 # which we know is 01111011
>
> # if we want to test for bit 4, we bitwise-and with
> 0x08 and
> # test to make sure it doesn't equal 0:
> if b & 0x08 != 0
>     puts "b
> end

This works for simple bit masking operations, but I?m
shifting bits a lot. I need to know the total number
of bits I?m dealing with, not just the number of bits
that can be assumed from the size of the number. I
also need to know the exact order of bits, not just an
order relative to the most significant bit which is
all you really know when dealing with values instead
of bit patterns.

The bitvector interface is probably overkill for what
I want to do, and I seem to need to know perl to
understand the documentation, but I?ll look into it
and post a comparison when I?m finished.

Thanks for the replies.

Bernard