On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 21:25, Tom Sawyer wrote:
> a bit OT but,

> this is essentially my table cell:

document.forms[0].elements["aname"].value = "text2"

if first (or only) form on page, or if named form:

document.forms["fname"].elements["aname"].value = "text2"

Re the non-input text, try laying ti out this way:

value="Text" /></td>

Now:

if (document.all) document.all.atext.innerTEXT = "text2"
else document.getElementById("atext").innerHTML = "text2"

> the bottom line is quite simple: javascript and DOM SUCK THE BIG ONE.

Well, I wouldn't say that exactly. What "SUCK"s is the non-standard
proprietary implementations IMO; but it does appear to be getting
better.

> so why are there not alternatives to this mess? where's RubyScript with an
> REXML like interface to the underlying content? where? we have a gazillion
> alternatives for server-side scripting, but One for client-side. what's wrong
> with this picture?

Well, I would like to see this as well. Unfortunately, I have very
little influence with the Mozilla project and aboslutely none with
Redmond. With regard to the former, though, soemone clever could
implement a browser using "RubyScript" as an alternative to or
replacement for JavaScript. But that is just the beginning; this super
Rubified browser would have to gain sufficient market share to warrant
site developers writing to it, and that is a long hard road.

> anyway, anyone have a better solution. i really don't want to hack it like
> i've suggested, although is prob a clever what to do it with regexp
> substitution (well, maybe, let me check this 800 pound manual)

Hope some of my suggestions help.

Regards,

Kent Starr