I called the child process the client side (my mistake).  Its the process
started with win32_popen.  Nothing special about it.  I just wanted to see
if I could load an object using it.
I'm running windows XP pro and Ruby 1.66.
I use drb in some of my applications.  What's nice about this code is that
you can start a process feed it some data and then terminate the calling
program without having to wait for the piped process to complete.  For
example, a cgi program that sends an email to the client.  With threads or
in the cgi code itself, the call to the mail server takes some time to
complete.  With popen, you can start a process to send the email.  Finish
writing the cgi output then exit the cgi program.  The user gets the html
response faster.  You could use a drb object to do the same, but any method
call on that object would have to complete before exiting the cgi program.
Spawning a thread also requires waiting.

Ernie
news:9JKQ9.67172$Zt4.781743 / twister.rdc-kc.rr.com...