thanks, Idan, for the word of caution, though i gave it a go anyway. was very
careful about it (i think). yet i applied it "across the board" such that i'm
using ||= on everything that could make suitable use of persistence, which
amounts to about three things: the database connection, meta information
about the database connection, and a session hash.

and guess what? my app speed up many times over! it blazes now!!! what would
take a second or two before now takes practically no time at all. honestly i
am astonished by the speed up. amazing. really, i just can't get over it. i
just pray that i don't run into a catch. but so far so good.

i've bundled up my work on all this into a single library to make it easy to
use, and will realease it soon if anyone's interested. more details to
follow...

-transami