Happy New Year!

On the database issue and your client's interest in using Access 2000:

As I understand it, Access 2000 is not a database server, its a desktop
database program and is most suited to a single-user environment
without "mission critical" data (which could easily be lost if multiple
users are reading and writing over a network).  Even Microsoft
recognizes this -- they acknowledge that, in a multi-user (multiple
readers and writers) environment, Access 2000 is, at best, a desktop
front-end to a more robust enterprise level database server system.  Of
course, they recommend MS SQL Server.  If I were choosing, I would pick
the free open-source, ACID compliant, postgresql.

And there are Ruby tools available to work with postgresql and mysql.
;-)

On Tuesday, December 31, 2002, at 08:04 PM, Shashank Date wrote:

> <jbritt / ruby-doc.org> wrote in message
>> Question:  Was the choice of platform/web server/database yours?
>>  I ask because you might do better using another web server
>> (Apache) and/or another database (PostgreSQL or MySQL).
>
> No I do not have a choice (for now ...)
>
>> What is the site meant to do?  Are you sure you need a database?
>
> The site is meant to allow registered users to securely transfer
> sensitive information which will update a database on the back-end and
> automatically generate an email to the site owners. They will process
> this information and return the results back into the database which
> will again email to the respective users that their work has been done
> and will allow them to see the results. So yes, I am pretty sure I
> need a database (which my client currently insists on having Access
> 2000).
[snip]