A happy new year,

At Tue, 17 Sep 2002 22:52:00 +0900,
Paul Brannan wrote:
> I do recall one of the apocalypses mentioning a perl rfc that proposed a
> <<< operator for 'here documents', which would remove whitespace from
> the 'here document' (at compile-time) that matched the whitespace in
> front of the terminator.  Doesn't seem like a bad idea for either perl
> or ruby.

I thought a new syntax like this,

    p <<-|EOS
      |  foo
      |    bar
    EOS
    # => "  foo\n    bar\n"

That is, a punctuation between << and the terminator, except
for quotations, directs to strip leading white-spaces till that
punctuation.  Any line wihtout it results an syntax error.

The patch was posted in [ruby-dev:19261].  Any comments are
welcome.

--
Nobu Nakada