<jbritt / ruby-doc.org> wrote in message
> Question:  Was the choice of platform/web server/database yours?
>  I ask because you might do better using another web server
> (Apache) and/or another database (PostgreSQL or MySQL).

No I do not have a choice (for now ...)

> What is the site meant to do?  Are you sure you need a database?

The site is meant to allow registered users to securely transfer sensitive
information which will update a database on the back-end and automatically
generate an email to the site owners. They will process this information and
return the results back into the database which will again email to the
respective users that their work has been done and will allow them to see
the results. So yes, I am pretty sure I need a database (which my client
currently insists on having Access 2000).

I see some use of  forms here. And session management, security management,
server side scripting etc.

> Will the content be mostly static (i.e., changes once in a while) or
dynamic (changes moment to moment,
> like slashdot, for example)?

Mostly static.

> Will you need to track user preferences?  Manage a shopping cart?  Process
credit cards?

Ummm ... user preferences: not initially. But something like a shopping cart
yes. Process credit cards is a "nice to have".

> More detail would be good to help us help you.

Thanks for you prompt response.

And a very Happy New Year !