Daniel Carrera wrote:

> Thanks Lyle, it works now.

A New Year's Eve gift ;)

> But I still want to mention something:  My LOAD_PATH variable was empty:
>
> $ ruby -e "puts $LOAD_PATH"
>
> $

My bad, I should have written that with single quotes and not double
quotes. With double quotes, I think the shell's trying to expand
$LOAD_PATH for us (into an empty string) before Ruby ever sees it. Try
typing this instead (after first unsetting your RUBYLIB environment
variable):

     ruby -e 'puts $LOAD_PATH'

Does the "/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/i686-linux" directory show up in
the $LOAD_PATH that *this* prints out?

> I added /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/i686-linux to RUBYLIB and FXRuby works
> now (as does FreeRide).  But I was wondering if you thought there was
> something wrong with my install.

Without a doubt, *some* set of directories for the platform-dependent
extension modules should be in your $LOAD_PATH. But depending on how
your Ruby was built, those directories might instead be called (for
example):

     /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/i386-linux

That's not an error, but it does create a problem when Ruby tries to
look for extensions (like fox.so) and can't find them because they're
somewhere else ;)

> In any event, thanks for helping.  When I go back to work, I'll see if I
> can get all this installed in the Sun machine as well.

I'm glad you got it working under Linux. Maybe we'll have fewer problems
on the Sun box.