--Apple-Mail-9-773387751

I just compiled and installed Ruby 1.6.8 from source, and I get the
same problems.

On Tuesday, December 31, 2002, at 12:51 PM, David Landrith wrote:

> I'm having two problems extending the array class.
>
> First, I am getting instances where super == nil.  It seems to me that
> this should be impossible.  The code that results in super == nil is
> as follows:
>
> 	def TypedArray.initWithArray(parent, content)
>
> 		ta = TypedArray.new(parent)
> 		content.each() { |val| ta << val }
> 		return ta
> 	end
>
> When I take this returned object and run methods that access super,
> super will equal nil.  For example:
>
> 	def [](colNum)
>
> 		puts ("******************super == nil") if super == nil;
> 		return super[@parent.colsIdx[colNum]]
> 	end
>
> The above method will print the "super == nil" string and throw the
> exception saying [] is not defined for nil.
>
> Second, I am redefining the [] and []= methods, so within those, I
> have to access super[]= and super[] (or else I'll have an infinite
> regress). For example:
>
> 	def []=(colNum, val)
> 		super[@parent.colsIdx[colNum]] = val
> 	end
>
> I am getting very odd results.  For example, a[0] = "yet another test
> col 0" actually sets a[0] to "yet anothyet another test col 0r test
> col 0".  Moreover, if I insert the following line:
>
> puts(super.type)
>
> I get "String" every time.
>
> These results strike me as anomalous and are too bizarre for me to
> explain, especially give the fact that my source code is rather
> rudimentary.
>
> I am using ruby 1.6.7 on MacOS X 10.2.3.  I am using the version that
> came with the developer tools, and ruby --version gives me the
> following:
>
> ruby 1.6.7 (2002-03-01) [powerpc-darwin6.0]
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave
> <PGP.sig>
David King Landrith
   (w) 617.227.4469x213
   (h) 617.696.7133

One useless man is a disgrace, two
are called a law firm, and three or more
become a congress   -- John Adams
public key available upon request

--Apple-Mail-9-773387751
	name=PGP.sig