Phew!!

With help from Daniel Carrera and Michael Libby, I managed to complete the
task of building Fox, FxScintilla and FXRuby from source.

For the benefit of other novices who may come after me, I'd like to add a few
things that got me.

On Mandrake 9.0, you will need to install the following OpenGL related
packages:

XFree86-devel-4.2.1-3mdk.rpm
libMesaglut3-4.0.3-6mdk.rpm
libMesaglut3-devel-4.0.3-6mdk.rpm

On Saturday 28 December 2002 11:52 am, Lyle Johnson wrote:

> To sidestep the issue of binary incompatibilities for this RPM or that
> RPM, I would just go straight to the source (literally). Download the
> latest source tarballs for fox-1.0, FXRuby-1.0 and FXScintilla-1.x.
>
> Start by getting a working FOX installation before moving on to
> FXScintilla (which would be step 2) or FXRuby (step 3). For most
> *recent* Linux distributions this usually just involves:
>
> 	tar xzf fox-1.0.29.tar.gz
> 	cd fox-1.0.29
> 	./configure --with-opengl=opengl
> 	make
> 	make install
>
> and then running some of the test programs (in the fox-1.0.29/tests
> subdirectory) to make sure things are working. Do not proceed past this
> step until you're satisfied that things are OK.

As 'root', you need to add the following line to the end of /etc/ld.so.conf

/usr/local/lib

Save the file and run 'ldconfig' before proceeding.
Exit from 'root'.