Shashank Date wrote:

> I am planning to use Ruby to develop a website which will be hosted on
> Windows using IIS, Access 2000 and SSL.
>
> Having ** never ** done any kind of Web development before, what would the
> Gurus recommend, in terms of software tools, Ruby packages, etc. required.

Toss in a Wiki.

I suspect there are several Ruby Wikis out there.

Any further site behaviors should emerge from the Wiki, via tiny tweaks to
the source. For example, if you add code to the Wiki that searches for date
strings (in the form DD-Mmm-YYYY), and if you add a Calendar page that
reports the results of that search formatted as a Calendar, your Website
now has a calendar, >without< all the crud that a traditional calendar
would need.

The latest (unreleased) zip of this Wiki does that:

        http://www.xpsd.com/MiniRubyWiki

The "Wiki strategy" will slash your development time down to almost
nothing, and get your writers boosting in content on the first day.

--
  Phlip
           http://www.greencheese.org/MayorZogg