Hi,

In message "[ruby-talk:00600] A `File' is not a `IO'?????"
    on 99/08/10, clemens.hintze / alcatel.de <clemens.hintze / alcatel.de> writes:

|Within the method I have checked with `fileclass.is_a? IO' and got a
|`false'?????

Why not?  File (the class object) is not an instance of the IO class,
but an instance of the class named Class.  Maybe you misunderstood the
meaning of `is_a?'.

`is_a?' is for the check whether the receiver is an instance of the
argument class.

|`File.ancestors.include? IO' very much. But that's me, perhaps... ;-)

Hmm, me neither.  Try `IO > File', which maybe a little bit better.

                                                        matz.