I'd also like to see  compiler for the purpose of ease of distribution.

The Perl guys are working on Parrot.  Does anyone know how exactly Parrot
works?  Is it akin to Java's JVM?  I ask because, if it is, we could
compile Ruby for the Parrot bytecode instead of machine code.  Then Ruby
could be "compile once, run everywhere", a la Java.

Another thought is to compile Ruby to the?.NET CLI.  The Mono project is
making good progress.  If it catches on in Linuxland, thisf might be an
option.

Daniel Carrera
Graduate Teaching Assistant.  Math Dept.
University of Maryland.  (301) 405-5137