In article <F102Dwi9XDji3TKciSU00021065 / hotmail.com>,
Shannon Fang <xrfang / hotmail.com> wrote:
>It is surely inspiring to hear this. I am now actively "alluring" friends to
>enter the Ruby world. Although my "corporate endeavor" seems (temporarily)
>blocked.
>
>I feel that it make talk long way for Ruby to gain a decent "share" of the
>programming lanugage market. One question my colleague asked me is: how many
>companies are using Ruby?

I don't know how many companies are using Ruby, but as I mentioned in a
recent post, you can get some idea of which companies are using Ruby by
looking at the email addresses of folks who post.
Some of the more recognizable ones:
Intel, Agilent, NOAA, NASA

(I'm sure more could be added)

>He said that since Python is 10 years old, and
>Microsoft is using Python, so it is good... It is our task to grow this ruby
>community.

Where is Microsoft using Python?  Perhaps you're thinking of ActiveState.
It could be that some folks are playing with Python at M$.  Recently Matz
met with someone from Microsoft so it could be that someone at Microsoft
is playing with Ruby too.

>Being a "pragmatic programmer" I regret I can't contribute more to Ruby, as
>you guru hackers do. However, all my friends seems really impressed by my
>efficiency when programming in ruby. I think that's what Ruby need -- more
>and more people using ruby and love ruby.

Word of mouth testamony works pretty well.

Phil
--
"Or perhaps the truth is less interesting than the facts?"
Amy Weiss (accusing theregister.co.uk of engaging in 'tabloid journalism')