I second the notion of scheme.  MzScheme / DrScheme are clean, beautiful,
simple, and have libraries that cover database access, network access, guis,
etc.  I believe MzScheme can be compiled to native executables, but i may be
mistaken about that.

Oh, and you can use "The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs"
as your scheme text (google it for an online version)... often considered to
be the finest book on the art and science of compter programming bar none.

I write tcl code in a quasi-functional style, but that's just me.

Jake

news:3DFF3E53.1030305 / hp.com...