From: "Wai-Sun Chia" <waisun.chia / hp.com>

> My advise is to start small. Use Ruby on small sub-projects first; my
> first one was a web-based custom report for a complex telco fraud
> management system. After 3 months part-time, not only did I achieved my
> goals but my little web-based custom reports, turned out to be a real
> decent decision support system, with a little bit of data-mining
> features to boot!! Boy, was the customer impressed.. ;-)

I started even smaller, but not too small.  I used Ruby to build a prototype of
a system that was ultimately implemented in Java (political reasons).  Thanks
to the prototype, the Java version was developed in a week, and was always on
track.  Some hairy bits, but it essentially worked first time.  Sad as I was to
leave Ruby behind, I have to confess that starting from scratch with an
enforced new mindset made it easier in some ways.  Java's damned frustrating,
though...

Cheers, and thanks for the interesting story.

Gavin