Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> currently i feel that large projects need discipline, part of which is strong
> (not "strict" :) typing.

I agree on the needing discipline, but the discipline is more related to
the development team than anything. Comments for the code, good docs for
the future maintainers, clean & readable code, peer review & verification.

>that is why, i think, ruby can't outperform java in "bosses" minds

Mmmm I'd disagree there, my limited experience has shown that what
bosses think tends to be more influences by hype (Java has been pushed
for years as a pen knife type language - Java can solve any problem)
than real knowledge or experience. Certianly none that I know could make
any "proper" descision based on the merits of Java or Ruby.

I often wonder how many other managers / bosses actually choose the
implementation language because they know off it and have heard "good
things" about it and how many actually choose based on a good knowledge
of languages and the problem space i.e. choosing the right tool for the
job.

Rob