On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 03:00, Tim Bates wrote:
> Dear all,
> I have been pondering the idea of a RubyRobots for some time - this would be
> based on the idea (I think someone referred to it as 'robocode') where people
> can write a few snippets of code to control a robot and then battle different
> robots against each other. There would be functionality to allow tournaments
> of more than one robot, and regular playoffs could take place. As well as
> being a lot of fun, it is a great teaching tool.

If you are more interested in the robot side of the problem (rather than
the control and administrative part), you could use the RealTimeBattle
code to provide the framework for your robots.  RealTimeBattle allows
you to write your robots in any language and will provide the framework
for running tournaments, etc.  You communicate with the robot via
standard in and standard out.  The control language is fairly simple and
there is some attempt to represent physics realistically.

I started writing a framework for writing Ruby robots.  I never had time
to complete it, but I'm willing to post the code if anyone is
interested.

The home page for RealTimeBattle is ...
http://realtimebattle.sourceforge.net/