>The problem with a hierarchical data format is that it pretty much
requires
>that your data be able to be represented as a hierarchy, and that
enforces a
>single data query path (a la LDAP); you can't query efficiently in the
opposite >direction, or from the middle.

I don't see what the problem is as long as you have ways to refer to the
same tag.  That way you can have multiple, overalapping heirachies.

The thing that gets my goat about XML is that it is just a way to
persist structured information, whether it be data or meta-data.  Big
deal.  It seems a whole mass of the development community have just
woken up to the beauty of object models and meta-models.  DOH!?  It's
just a shame that they haven't chosen a better way to communicate them.
Give me UML-on-a-whiteboard any day .  Anyway YAML + Ruby is the future!

Rusty

---