Tom Sawyer <transami / transami.net> writes:

> On Friday 13 December 2002 11:13 pm, Yohanes Santoso wrote:
>
>> Such is also my hope that Matz&co. will keep improving the
>> implementation (and of course, the language)
>
> indeed i had hoped 1.8 would be much faster. but it dosen't sound
> like it will be. perhaps 2.0 then.

Ruby 1.8 will be faster in many areas (1.7 already is).

    Many successive String#<< calls are faster, because the string
    size is grown more aggressively.

    IO is faster, especially with the native Windows version of Ruby.

IO and String operations make up the bulk of Ruby programs, while
Threads are not critical to many scripts.

About 6 months ago I ran a few of the "Language Shootout" tests with
ruby 1.7 and many had improved.