From: "Hal E. Fulton" <hal9000 / hypermetrics.com>

> > Funny you mention *jar* - it's just *zip* in disguise, but with *tar* CLI.
> On
> > my incredibly crippled AIX box at work, we use *jar* is we want to *unzip*
> > (non-Java-related) zip files!!!
>
> Why is your AIX box crippled, anyway? :) Just because it
> runs AIX, or other reasons?
>
> Hal

Not becasue it's AIX, but because the command-line tools are dinosaurs.  I've
heard it's the same with a default Solaris installation: to make it usable, you
install the GNU replacements, but there's NO WAY the management here would do
that.  We've compiled a few tools in our home directory: vim, date, grep [see
below], but you can't do that forever.

e.g. 'grep' can't handle lines of more than 2K characters, 'date' doesn't
understand "-d '1 day ago'", etc.  Plus all the man pages just *suck.

So we use 'jar' to unzip things because there's no 'unzip' installed.

Gavin