> Actually, Ruby is an Object-Oriented Language.
> Examples of functional languages are LISP and HASKELL.
> I am not sure if you want to grasp the Object-Oriented programming
> style or
> the Functional programming style.  You can use Ruby to write in a
> somewhat
> functional style if you want to, but Ruby would not be the language to
> use to learn functional programming.
>
> You could program in Ruby using a somewhat functional style.

i was already aware of that, but i've seen some examples of this - maybe i
shouldn't keep calling it "style" - approach to programming (the functional
approach) around here and the web and was just fascinated by it because it's
rather different from what i knew.

Yohanes Santoso said in reply to your post:
> All languages have some degree of existence on each axis.
i agree with that and moreover think that if a language has such intense
coexistence on two of this axis as ruby (oo, functional) it would be best to
know how to code in each way and use the best way suitable for solving on
every individual problem.

anyway, thx for your reply
patrick.