In article <20021211184131.A84073 / freeze.org>,
Jim Freeze  <jim / freeze.org> wrote:
>On Thursday, 12 December 2002 at  7:42:00 +0900, Shannon Fang wrote:
>> Hi Phil,
>>
>> You are absolutely right. What they fear is that:
>>
>> 1. Currently only I understand Ruby.
>> 2. Java is in vogue. They want the language to be there after 10-20
>> years...
>>
>> I am currently writing a small introduction letter to my boss...
>
>I have given two presentations on Ruby at my work. It was received much
>better than I anticipated.

However just to show that YMMV: I gave a presentation on Ruby to my group
at the same company that Jim works at (different location) about 1.5 years
ago and it was NOT received well.

>I used to get "Only you know Ruby", to
>which I would respond, "Any programmer here after 2 days will know
>Ruby better than they currently know Perl".

I think this is really true.  That's certainly how I recall feeling after
moving from Perl to Ruby (more comfortable in Ruby after a couple of
days).

>After seeing the code
>in two presentations, I think they are beginning to believe this
>bit of truth.

good for them ;-)

Phil
--
"Or perhaps the truth is less interesting than the facts?"
Amy Weiss (accusing theregister.co.uk of engaging in 'tabloid journalism')