----- Original Message -----
"Chris Pine" <nemo / hellotree.com> writes:

> I have run bash in cmd.com and in rxvt, [...]

I find this way of expressing things confusing.
----------------------------

I don't think anyone runs cmd.exe in an alternative console/terminal, but...

Perhaps you'll find this less confusing:  Let's say I have two icons on my
desktop.  The targets for them are:

C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --login -i

C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -sr -tn xterm -e /usr/bin/bash --login -i

If I click the first, I get a generic windows console.  I don't like it.

If I click the second, I get a better
console/terminal/whatever-you-want-to-call-it, but it still has problems.

I like bash, and plan on continuing to use bash.  I was just wondering if
anyone uses a better console/terminal program for windows that they would
recommend.

FWIW, I have found a third option, but it requires that I have an xserver
running on my windows machine, which I don't always bother to do:

C:\cygwin\bin\runbash.exe --login -i -c "xterm -display :0; logout"

runbash.exe simply runs bash, but NOT in a console (nor in a window... just
"in the background").  bash then starts xterm (the cygwin port).

Chris