Hi sir Enab (aka WATANABE Hirofumi [mailto:eban / os.rim.or.jp]):

You answered precisely last Monday, December 09, 2002 6:43 PM:

> module MyArray
>   def []=(x, y)
>     super x, y
>     self
>   end
> end
>
> a = [1,2,3,4]
> a.extend MyArray
> p((a[1]=6).sort) #=> [1, 3, 4, 6]

You're solution is great, very flexible and safe too (as mentioned by David
and Gavin).

I have one request though, if it is not too much. Is it possible to define a
"new" method, say []<= ?  like,

 module MyArray
   def [] <= (x, y)		#changed here
     super x, y
     self

so that,

 a = [1,2,3,4]
 a.extend MyArray
 p((a[1] <= 6).sort) #=> [1, 3, 4, 6]

This way I do not pose danger to []= use..

I tried but I get a syntax error. Does this mean, I cannot define new ones?
Sorry, If I do not know what I'm talking/asking about. Your sample codes
looks very simple (and tempting) and works right out of the box. That is why
I thought it would be simple to modify. Maybe, I missed basic underlying
principle. Pls enlighten.

> --
> eban

Many thanks.