Some background:  I'm really gunshy of multiple exits from a routine.  I've been burned more times than I've not been burned by respecting the rule.  It's just a personal coding style; I sincerely hope that Ruby can permit me to have my idiosyncracies.

And I don't want to be thought of as a "firebrand".  This group is marvelous -- I've never been in one that is so literate and professional.  I'll get the hang of politeness yet!  Perhaps I should mention that I flunked police charm school...