"ts" <decoux / moulon.inra.fr> wrote in message
news:200212081116.gB8BGgU27230 / moulon.inra.fr...

> T> (This is based on my >20 year old memory of FORTRAN 77, so I could be
> T> off in the details. I believe "computed GOTO" is deprecated in current
> T> FORTRANs. :-)
>
>  I hope it's deprecated. I take me 3 days to debug one of my FORTRAN 4
>  program written with computed GOTO (ACP program) and it's worst than a
>  case statement. But I always write stupid things :-))

The ocaml bytecode interpreter on gcc runs 50% faster than the equivalent on
MSVC despite the fact that MSVC is generally optimizing better than gcc. The
reason? gcc supports computed gotos which apparently allows the interpreter
to translate opcodes to addresses of subroutines, thus avoiding an extra
computational step for each instruction.

Mikkel