From: <nobu.nokada / softhome.net>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ruby
Sent: Friday, December 06, 2002 5:38 PM
Subject: Re: Buffered output on Windows

Hi,

At Sat, 7 Dec 2002 07:41:48 +0900,
Chris Pine wrote:
> Well, I'll be damned... you're right!  I was running the program in the
port
> of rxvt which comes in the cygwin distribution, but I had good reason
> (obviously not good enough) to believe that rxvt was not at fault:
>
> When I said that the Linux version of ruby was fine, I was running that in
> the *same* rxvt window!  I just ssh'd over to my linux box and ran it
there.

> Why would that be?

It means rxvt cygwin port is incomplete yet.  It uses a pipe to
connect child process, so non-cygwin children don't recognize
it a tty.  This issue is not limited to ruby, for example,
Borland's tdump tool fails on rxvt too.

Windows fundamentally doesn't have pseodo tty feature like on
UNIX but only special "console".  Japanese maintainer of rxvt
for cygwin at least has noticed this but cannot solve yet.

--
Nobu Nakada