On Sat, 2002-12-07 at 13:04, Hal E. Fulton wrote:

> But of course, it's the kai-zen principle at work. Take a hundred
> baby steps forward, and suddenly it looks like a giant quantum leap.
> That, I think, is why we like Ruby -- or part of the reason -- or
> that's true for me, anyway.

Unfortunately, many folks seem to feel that continuous improvement means
continuous accretion of features. I have a theory that in really, really
good designs, the total amount of *stuff* stays the same over time. As
improvements are added, less good things are discarded.

This isn't easy in a programming language, where throwing stuff away
breaks backward compatibility.

Cheers

Dave