On Sat, 7 Dec 2002 14:03:50 +0900, "Hal E. Fulton"
<hal9000 / hypermetrics.com> wrote:

>Actually, what I've always wished for is a multiway Boolean
>branch that was *obviously* such, not merely a special case
>of 'if'.
>
>In grad school I created a toy language that had a 'test'
>statement. (I'm not advocating this for Ruby, BTW, though
>I personally wouldn't mind seeing it.)

Hal, have you ever used FORTRAN's computed GOTO statement? IIRC, you
supply an expression followed by a list of line numbers (line numbers
are the same as C labels, except they're, well, numbers). Control
branches to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, whatever line number based on the value
of the expression.

(This is based on my >20 year old memory of FORTRAN 77, so I could be
off in the details. I believe "computed GOTO" is deprecated in current
FORTRANs. :-)