Gavin Sinclair wrote:
>>I was working on the tutorial just now and wanted to delete all the *~
>>files.  But instead of typing `rm *~` I typed `rm *` and all the files
>>were silently deleted.

ah, the joys of unix. who hasn't experienced that at one time or
another? :-) i've had mistyped 'rm * ~' (extra space) and 'rm *<TAB>'
(missed hitting the "~" above the tab). i've witnessed my company's
sysadmin wiped his whole mail directory. i've also heard other sad
stories. i have used midnight commander's undelfs several times.

>>This could have been a tragedy if I didn't have a recent backup made on a
>>sepparate directory.  Since I did, I actually lost very little work.
> Also:
>   CVS
>   alias rm='rm -i'
>   vim: set backupdir=/tmp      [I presume the *~ files come from vim?]

although there is no substitute for backups, it's amazing to see that
over the years the unix CLI hasn't got a good replacement for "rm" that
does trash-can-thingy (or some filesystem features added on to
ext2/ext3/reiserfs that makes undeletion possible). the best distros
come up with is putting the "rm -i" alias. i find "rm -i" very annoying.

--
dave