On Sat, 7 Dec 2002 dblack / candle.superlink.net wrote:

D> I thought lstat differs from stat specifically in that it reports on
D> the link (rather than the thing the link points to).  I'm not sure
D> about the bar vs. bar/ distinction... but if it's just bar, I think
D> lstat should report on the link itself.

what you say in in agreement with the linux man page, but many unices seem to
disagree with you (solaris, irix, hp-ux).  additionally the bar vs. bar/
issure on linux can lead to very confusing behaviour.

all i am saying is that, due to differences in the stat/lstat implementation
across unices, Find.find &block will behave differently on identically
structured filesystems where links are concerned.  this is not a good thing
imho.  languages like ruby, which purport some level of platform independence,
sometimes try to smooth over these blemishes.  i was merely pointing out the
source of the problem so the powers that be could make the 'right' descision.

-a

--