On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 09:55:34AM +0900, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> > > 2) non-moderated newsgroups need no subscription, you'd only have to
> > > configure your newsreader. But again, you don't want to do it anyway,
> > > as you're already getting the whole picture.
> > To a point; However, there's perfectly good reason to use usenet rather
> > than the mailing list. With such a high-traffic list as this, the usenet
> > form may be nicer (with usenet, you only download the mail headers
> > information on the first pass, from that you pick the ones you'd like to
> > read, and at that point, you'd download the mail bodies; it saves on
> > both bandwidth and time.)
> OTOH, when I see something I wat to read, I want to read it straight away, not
> wait for it to be downloaded.  I also like the fact that it's on my machine and
> I can search it (months) later.
...and that's why I'm using slrn+slrnpull. Usenet is a way better solution
than mailing lists for me, and the only reason I'm using mutt instead of
slrn to read and write to comp.lang.ruby/ruby-talk is that there's no
such group like comp.lang.ruby on my news server.

--
[ ] gminick (at) underground.org.pl  http://gminick.linuxsecurity.pl/ [ ]
[ "Po prostu lubie poranna samotnosc, bo wtedy kawa smakuje najlepiej." ]