Dave Thomas wrote:

> Folks:
>
> You install Ruby using the InstallShield-based installed. It creates
> the directories, sticks the files in them, updates file associations
> in the registry, and creates a program group.
>
> Sp far, all pretty standard.
>
> My question is: would you also expect it to add the Ruby bin directory
> to your PATH? Which would be the least surprising: updating PATH or
> not?
>
> Dave

If at all possible, ask.  You might also consider creating a bat file that
executes ruby and adds it to the path for the duration of the execution.
I've set this up by hand for a few programs, because I didn't want my path
to get any longer.
OTOH, it's sure nice to know how you expect the path to be set, and adding
it in the autoexec file gives some pretty explicit documentation.  But my
path is already so long that documentation is how I would need to use it.
If you do add it, be sure you add it to the tail.  Adding it to the front
is a recipe for disabling other applications that I already depend on.

-- (c) Charles Hixson
--  Addition of advertisements or hyperlinks to products specifically
prohibited